Property Development Process for Planners (Planet)
This course responds to requests about the other side of the planning counter and the property development process. While there are several models in the property development process ranging from an ad hoc approach, to project-based and design and construct, this course will review a common approach for small scale infill development. In particular we will look at how a site is selected including planning zones, the market needs analysis, neighbourhood character and design options.
What and how much can fit on a lot vs over-development are common questions which will be explored by reviewing relevant planning and building legislation and how property yield is determined, for example 4 or 6 townhouses following a feasibility study. This will also include consideration of building design issues and documentation including the contract. The feasibility study will evaluate scenarios such as the impact of adding or removing another bedroom, townhouse or apartment.
Who should attend?
Planners, economic development officers, planning and other consultants, real estate agents, novice developers, builders and project managers.
Issues covered include:
- develop an awareness of the process undertaken by a property developer
- review legislation approvals and what you can and cannot build within the planning zones
- analyse how sites are selected, development yield, risk management and valuations
- evaluate a feasibility study and comprehend the components
- organise and commence the process for property development and construction
- awareness of investment limitations, holding costs, project financing and cash flow.
You may also be interested in:
Daylight Assessment for Apartements and Medium Density Housing
10 / 5 / 2018
9.30am - 5.00pm
To register for this event, please contact PIA directly at
Please note that PIA Members receive a 30% discount.
John Glossop, Director, Glossop Town Planning;
David Cooke, Managing Director, DCA Design; and
Sam Polimeni, Director of SP Solutions.
PIA Victorian Office
Level 3, 124 Exhibition Street, Melbourne